Monday, March 22, 2010

"Rock A Baby"

Since B was born, I have always sung either "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" or the "ABCs" to calm him down and help him fall asleep.

I don't know very many lullabies at all (obviously). Last summer I traveled back to where I grew up and it was my first time alone with B in a long time. GH normally helps extensively with B's night time routine and sings him several songs in Spanish.

So one night while on the trip, I started singing "Rock a Bye Baby"out of desperation. I don't really like the part about the bough breaking, etc, so I would generally just sing the same lines over and over. As repetitive as it was, at least it calmed him down and saved my sanity during the trip.

But last fall I was ready to add a new verse to our song. One night I just started singing about the fall colors, making the lines up as I went.

Recently, I have added a spring verse to our "Rock a Baby" (that is what B calls it- "Mommy, sing 'Rock a Baby!'") and I thought I would share my verses for anyone who might also want to sing this traditional lullabye without singing the part about the bough breaking.

Here is our version:

Rock a bye baby, on a treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock.

When the leaves change, the fall colors come.
Red, orange and yellow are the leaves.

Rock a bye baby, on a treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock.

When the buds break, the spring blossoms come.
Pink, white and purple are the blooms.



Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment